Sunday, November 06, 2005

Note to self: easy menu!

We had the pleasure of hosting a really nice family for brunch today, John & Jackie G with their kids Allie (6th grade) and Zach (3rd). John & Jackie were really fun to talk with. The kids were super, very patient with all the adult nattering, good eaters, and very good-natured. Allie helped me with some of the preparations, Zach initiated a little hoops shooting after lunch, and they both seriously and persistently participated in a toad hunt. It turns out we have an even dozen toads in our house, but they're not particularly noticeable. With time and only a little help finding the last one, they were able to spot every one!

In addition to the great company, this brunch was enjoyable for me because it was relatively simple to prepare and yummy to boot. So I make this note to myself; this could become standard brunch fare at our house! Here's the menu:

Luxury Scrambled Eggs
Maple-Oatmeal Scones

Fruit cup (honeydew, cantaloupe, seedless grapes)
Bacon (extra thick Oscar Mayer and Louis Rich turkey)
OJ
Coffee

That's it!

Prep

The night before

  • Set the table
  • Run a load of dishes and get them put away
  • Put some Pellegrino in the fridge
  • Set up the coffee maker with water & coffee grounds & set it to come on at 1:00

Eggs

  • chop the herbs and scallions
  • combine the eggs, cream cheese, salt & pepper
  • I held off putting the herbs into the eggs until I could ask whether the kids would eat them. They did, and seemed to like it!

Scones

  • Prepared them up to the point of rolling them out & cutting them.
  • Put them in an airtight container with parchment sheets between layers.
  • Made the glaze; left on the counter so it would spread easily when needed.

Bacon

  • Cooked both types of bacon, just a little shy of being done
  • Cooled, stored in a plastic bag overnight

That day

I came home a few minutes early (just left church with a bare minimum of socializing) while Todd stayed after and rode home with our guests. That gave me time to:
  • egg-wash the scones and put them in the oven
  • add the egg wash to the prepared eggs
  • pull the OJ out of the freezer, open it, up-end it in the pitcher
  • put the bacon on a platter for reheating in the microwave
  • get the fruit out of the fridge, use a melon baller on the melons
  • last, cook the eggs
Allie then helped me by:
  • adding water to the OJ and stirring diligently till the frozen concentrate was thoroughly mixed in (I love making the OJ at the last minute like this. You get cold OJ without having it take up room in the fridge)
  • putting washed grapes in the fruit cut
  • drizzling the glaze on the scones
It was a yummy meal, if I do say so myself, and I was so relaxed and able to the interact with everyone. So, I record this menu because I want to remember to do it again!

No comments: